Hydatid cysts, also known as echinococcal cysts, are a type of parasitic cyst that forms in the liver as well as other organs, such as the lungs. They are caused by the larval stage of the Echinococcus granulosus tapeworm. 

Hydatid cysts are commonly found in areas where livestock is raised, and humans can become infected by accidentally ingesting the parasite’s eggs through contact with contaminated soil, food, or water.


In many cases, hydatid cysts may not cause any noticeable symptoms, especially in the early stages. However, as the cysts grow larger, they can lead to the following symptoms:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Jaundice
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Allergic reactions
  • Biliary obstruction
  • Fever
  • Fatigue
  • Cyst rupture, leading to anaphylactic shock in severe cases



Diagnosis of hydatid cysts involves a combination of imaging tests, such as ultrasounds, CT scans, and MRIs, along with serological tests to detect specific antibodies in the blood. These tests help visualize the cysts, determine their size and location, and confirm the presence of the Echinococcus granulosus parasite. These cysts have a specific appearance that can help differentiate them from other simple cysts.



Treatment of hydatid cysts typically involves a combination of antiparasitic medications and surgical intervention. 


The primary goal of treatment is to eliminate the parasite and prevent the recurrence of the infection. The approach to treatment may include:

  • Antiparasitic drugs such as albendazole or mebendazole to kill the parasite
  • Percutaneous aspiration, injection, and re-aspiration (PAIR) procedure to shrink the cysts before or after surgery
  • Surgical removal of the cysts, often through a procedure known as cystectomy, while taking precautions to prevent the spread of the cyst contents


Regular follow-up visits with a healthcare provider are essential for individuals diagnosed with hydatid cysts to ensure proper management and monitor for any potential complications or recurrence of the infection. 


Effective prevention measures, such as maintaining good personal hygiene and avoiding contact with potentially contaminated animals, are crucial in reducing the risk of contracting this parasitic infection.

Go to Top